Reopening GUSD: Elementary Schools
STARTING APRIL 15: PRE-K TO 2nd GRADES
SCHEDULES For pre-K-5th
(Including SDC Classes)
For Elementary School Students
Beginning April 15 (grades PreK-2) and April 19 (grades 3-5), elementary school students will have two different school experiences happening at at the same time: on-campus, in-person learning and distance learning. Both programs prioritize safety and well-being of students. Both programs maximize and prioritize students' time with their teachers and continue to build on routines and habits already established this year.
What Both Programs Mean for Your Child and Your Family
- Your choice for your child is a commitment for the rest of the 2020-21 school year.
- The District will try to keep each student with their current teacher, whether they choose the hybrid model or the distance-learning model. There are few instances where teacher assignments may be shifted to accommodate scheduling.
- Children in the distance learning for five days a week will have more independent learning time than in the current distance-learning model.
- Students in the in-person program will have at-home distance learning on Wednesdays.
IMPORTANT: If you are not receiving ParentSquare communications from your child’s school or the District, contact your child’s school to ensure we have the correct contact information (cell phone number and email) on file. More about ParentSquare.
Other Components for Reopening
Reopening guidelines are subject to change based on directives from the CDC, State, and County.
Students will attend school on-campus part-time in stable groups, or cohorts.
Students will also participate in distance learning at home.
Hand-washing stations will be in all classrooms and other campus locations. Surfaces will be cleaned as frequently as possible.
Students will remain with their class and teacher in stable cohorts and will have assigned work areas. Entry/exit protocols will be enforced. Daily at-home health checks will be conducted.
MASKS & SOCIAL DISTANCING
Students and staff will be required to wear masks and maintain social distancing at all times while on campus.
Student cohorts will stay together in designated areas for outdoor breaks and meals.
Grab-and-go meals will be served outside as weather permits.
VISITORS AND VOLUNTEERS
Visitors and volunteers will not be allowed in school buildings.
- March 18: Board approves return-to-school plan for pre-K to 5th grades.
- March 19: Decision forms sent through ParentSquare.
- March 23: General information meeting for GUSD preschool and elementary families.
- March 24: School-specific meetings for all preschool and elementary schools.
- March 25: Middle school and high school students will remain in distance learning for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year.
- March 28: Answers to decision forms for preschool and elementary students are due.
- April 15: On-campus cohorts of pre-K to 2nd grades return to school. New distance learning schedule begins.
- April 19: On-campus cohorts of 3rd to 5th grades to return to school. New distance learning schedule begins.